We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form.
William Ralph Inge (1860-1954)

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Spring Has Arrived (Finally!!!)

It has been an awful long time since I last posted here and I have no excuses. I was kept away by a combination of laziness (there I admitted it), lack of anything to say that was worthwhile and then there was a general spiritual malaise and struggle that had me securely locked down in the emotional pits. And while it's possible to keep going and getting the day to day stuff done, anything beyond that is just as likely to get put off until never. But I think I'm finally getting to a point where the misery that I chose to wallow in, is becoming manageable and I don't feel so paralysed by it. Ask me in a week and I may have a different story to tell but that's life, a never ending process of change and change again so we'll see how that goes. For the time being, I'm here, my camera is working and the spring has sprung and I'm going to make an effort to keep a better record. I've chosen a few nice pictures here that just show how things are coming along with the 'old homestead'. The trees are still bare but you can see that the flowers had begun to bloom when I took these and my chickens were finally safely confined. I was letting them run around the whole yard, but then they discovered how nice the soil was in some of my flower borders and their freedom became problematic. I wanted them to be able
to roam and do chicken things, but I also want to have a nice yard and not have to follow them around replanting everything they scratched up. So I moved my garden boxes, then set up a fence and now they have an area that is about 30' x 30' plus of course, their little roofed in cage and their chicken house. Now they can search for bugs and seeds in the grasses and amongst the trees, take dust bathes to their hearts content and my garden is safe. Win, win for us all. Frankly, if I was a chicken, I would want to belong to me because they have it really good. So for now I'm going to sign off, let you take a peek at the few pictures that I could round up and I promise to be back later this week. The weather is windy and cold today, but the next time we have some sunshine, I'll pull out my camera and go on the hunt for some more photos to share with all of you whom I love. Til then, take care my dears and don't let the zombies get you. In fact stay away from Miami, I hear they found one there. Toodle-loo for now!

No comments: