We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form.
William Ralph Inge (1860-1954)

Friday, May 2, 2008

No Garden Today....



The lawn was beginning to green up, the hillside showed a slight dusting of green poking through the tan matt of last years grasses and close inspection of little shrubs showed tiny buds starting to swell in preparation for their spring awakening. And the larges trees have the first of their crumpled, bundles of new leaves on the verge of opening out and welcoming their new year. I've been digging and edging shrub beds so that when the nurseries finally open, I will be ready!

And then this, May 1st and look at what we've got. At first sight of scattered flakes drifting lazily from the sky, I thought "this too would pass", but nooo, it didn't and the photos show what it looks like at the end of the day in Nova Scotia. Little different I think from BC where folks are marking out rows where the veggies will go in a week or two. I would think that gardening must start here in a serious way, at least three weeks later than the Lower Mainland. Oh well, I'm not going anywhere, I can wait.

No comments: