We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form.
William Ralph Inge (1860-1954)

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Bugs, bugs and MORE BUGS!!!



Our summer has finally arrived, hot and humid! On the other hand, maybe it's just warm and I'm in a sweat all the time because of hot flashes---hmmm, wonder which it is. Whatever the case, the warm weather has brought out the flies and my poor Sierra and Ambra are going crazy. A few days ago, I took their halters off at the pasture gate, and later, noticing that they were galloping back and forth in the field, I went out to discover that they were being swarmed by a couple dozen great big,brown deer flies. They were so frantic I could hardly get their halters back on so that I could take them into the barn. Poor girls. You know, when all the transplanted easterners used to tell me how beautiful Nova Scotia is, not one of them ever mentioned the flies. Anyway, at this point, I'm thinking that I will have to buy full cover mesh fly sheets with a belly bank and a neck cover so that they will be able to graze at all. Even if I leave them out at night, right now the mosquitos get them after dark. They are loosing weight because their grazing is being affected and they are wearing off the calories just be trying to evade the flies. I am going to measure them tomorrow for sheets and we will see.

No comments: