We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form.
William Ralph Inge (1860-1954)

Thursday, November 6, 2008

Sunset Years.


Now that the big chores are done, the list of projects diminished to where we can putter or put things off, I am finally facing retirement. What to do? Of course there are the day to day things to do, the things that keep our days moving forward, a moment at a time. But when I sit quietly, as I have learned to do of late, and just be, then I find myself wondering....is this all there is? I have no passion it seems, not like I used to. In a time long ago, I was passionate about my garden, my horses, my art, and found then that the day to day demands of life got in the way of those things. Now those things have joined the day to day things.

How do you rekindle a passion, or find a new passion or a meaning or a purpose? Is this all there is? How many decades are left to me to wonder these thoughts aloud and in the quiet of my mind? Is this all there is?

No comments: