We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form.
William Ralph Inge (1860-1954)

Thursday, December 11, 2008


I'm in a funny kind of mood today. Sort of coasting in neutral you could say..... maybe the weather, grey, low hanging clouds, snowing lightly in fits and starts, but not real cold, is making me feel that way. Maybe the time I already put in to altering some curtains that I bought, only to discover that a quick run through the dryer shrank them so much that I have to take out what I already did and start again, is making me feel that way. Maybe I'm just getting so relaxed and I'm not used to feeling this way. I'm just not real sure what it is all about. I do know that I had plans to go into town and do some grocery shopping and run a few errands, but the weather man's warning of icy rain(bad roads?) put me off until about noon. It was warm, well sort of, and no rain, so I decided I would follow through on those plans which meant I needed to get into something a little more town-worthy instead of the sweatpants that I'd been schlepping around the house all day in. By the time I was ready, the snow had started falling! New plan, stick with the plan of staying home after all. Well, to make a long story short, the snow fell for an hour, didn't stick at all, and by then I had bread rising and I was not going to try the town plan again. But that didn't mean that I wasn't totally bugged and frustrated. I like to make a plan and then follow through, sort of tunnel vision and town and errands were at the end of the tunnel originally. All this might explain the funny mood that I am in.

The one thing that makes me feel good no matter what, is our puppy-potty. The dogs are heading straight for the bathroom door in the mornings now when I let them out of the kennel, instead of the back door. The habit is getting stronger which means that it won't be long before we can take our eyes off them when they are walking around the family room. Diesel was used to doing his business indoors in the old shower, but Max arrived at our house in summer and the bathroom was being renovated already so this is all new to him. But he's getting the hang of it now. The shower was replaced by a tiled curb and a hand-held shower and then I filled the basin with gravel. So they do their business, I rinse (or pick up, whichever is necessary) and it all stays clean and odor free. When you have very small dogs and you live where the snow can get much deeper than they are tall, this is the ideal solution. So much nicer to guide them into the bathroom than to stand there in ones housecoat with the rain coming down first thing in the morning. So much nicer.

But I've put off getting back to work on my darn curtains long enough. At this rate, they'll never be done. So I will force myself to put the computer away (I should call it my lap top time waster) and do what I need to do. I would dearly love to be done with them. So til later......

No comments: