We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form.
William Ralph Inge (1860-1954)

Sunday, July 22, 2007

We're Having a Good Time!


Spent last night in Thunderbay, Ontario. The night was cool, but the days are lovely. Yesterday was a long drive, 800km and at one point we stopped to let the dogs out. We're standing there, just watching Diesel and Lucy, and all of a sudden, Don is saying "we've gotta get back in the car! I'm being eaten alive by mosquitos." Now I know that he tends to be a little melodramatic about stuff like this (it's probably only one or two, so I'm taking my time. Then I walk over to see what he is talking about (he's insisting) and sure enough, I can see the little buggers circling him with little bibs on and a fork and knife in their third pair of hands!

I rushed the dogs over to the car door (which I'd left open), and while I am trying to get hold of the mutts, I can see the mosquitos piling into the car like their next meal depends on it! Finally got the dogs in, cage shut, and Don and I are in, with the doors closed behind us... a couple dozen mosquitos! We got rid of some of them by opening all the windows and the sunroof and blowing them out. And then spent the next few miles, smacking and slapping the rest of them. So that was some of the wildlife on Ontario. We also saw a couple moose beside the road, and I saw a wolf disappear into the woods.

So we are off to Wawa today, and likely there won't be any internet, so we will have to suspend posting for a couple days, but we'll be back (as Arnie would say).

No comments: