We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form.
William Ralph Inge (1860-1954)

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Our yard (garden?)





There is so much to do, the list that is in my head goes on and on as I search for sleep. My body wants to quit, but the brain marches on. As I look out the window, I see the garden that needs so much work because, for the most part, it doesn't yet exist except in my mind. Right now it is only a yard. It is a little easier when you are renovating an old garden, because then there are bones on which to hang the flesh that will fill it out and make it your own. But when the bones aren't even there, where do you begin? Don once said that my plants should have wheels on them because I am forever moving them. He is right of course because even now, I have planted about half of the plants that I bought when we moved here, and there are at least five that are not in quite the right place. But now I will leave them until the spring because I don't have the time to make those adjustments.

We do have a nice little patio to sit on and it is kind of pretty to look out over part of thed field. It is sheltered from the wind that sweeps around our place. Well, most of the time it is sheltered and when the wind blows, the aspen that grows beside the yard shivers and tembles and is so very loud. It is like living beside a waterfall because of the sound!

No comments: