We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form.
William Ralph Inge (1860-1954)

Sunday, December 30, 2007

My how we've changed...


Don didn't sleep well last night, so he got up at 3:00 AM and got the fire going again while he read for a couple hours before coming back to bed. When I woke up in the morning, the family room was still warm, and embers glowed brightly in the stove. I made a cup of tea, turned on a music station on the television, put on my glasses and began to read. I've been totally engrossed lately in a book called "Conversations With God" and find that spending some time in it at the beginning of my day lifts my soul and puts me in the right frame of mind.

Later Don came down and together we had our first cup of coffee. As we sat together, he with his computer, me with my book, and the music playing softly in the background the thought came to me that we have changed incredibly from the time when we were in our twenties. Back then, we would not have been up at 7:30 in the morning on the weekend. We would not have been listening to quiet, peaceful music. We would not have been drinking coffee until we'd had our dose of Alkaseltzer for the queasy stomach that usually came after the night before. My how we've changed!

No comments: