We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form.
William Ralph Inge (1860-1954)

Wednesday, January 2, 2008




When I was young and working at my very first full time job, I worked near a pet shop and would often walk over and ooh and aah over the kittens and puppies. Now before you get bent out of shape, my interest in pet shop puppies was decades ago, and I was unaware of the tragedy that surrounds these puppies beginnings. Anyway, one afternoon I fell in love with the tiniest, most adorable little chihuahuas. And as is usually the case, being a teenager, I became obsessed and decided that with my next paycheck, I would be bringing one of them home. Do you remember when Christmas oranges came in little wooden boxes? Well I had one that would be exactly the right size to be a bed for a tiny little dog like the one that I was going to bring home.

Unfortunately, by the time I had enough money, the little dog of my dreams was gone. But it is many years later, and in that time, we have had chihuahua's and loved them and enjoyed them. They've been part of our lives in every respect and as Kim and Holly have left home, the little pooches have become our kids. I don't know, once a parent, always a parent? Anyway, today we said goodbye to one of our kids. After almost 18 years, our little Lucy was just too tired to go on and the joy was gone from her life. So this morning, in spite of the blowing snow, we went to the vets office. In a moment, and without even a sigh, it was over.

The land is covered with a blanket of snow right now and it will be many months before the grass is green again, but when the spring comes and life begins anew, Lucy will be laid to rest beneath the little apple tree in the back yard. I am so glad that she could come to Nova Scotia with us and even though her little eyes couldn't see the blue skies, she could feel the sunshine and hear us call her name. Now she isn't tired anymore.

Lucy was always the most photogenic little lady as you can see. The first photo, taken on the lawn, was when she was about 9 or 10. The next one was taken in the summer after she'd gotten a summer haircut. Wasn't she the cutest little thing. And the last one was taken just after the last bath that she had about two weeks ago. Still sweet, and fresh and clean and cuddly.

No comments: