We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form.
William Ralph Inge (1860-1954)

Sunday, January 13, 2008

Early start to gardening....



Several years ago a friend from our early days got married. While at the reception, she announced that her and her new husband were leaving for......drum roll please.....Nova Scotia! Well you can imagine the response from those of us who were just hearing about their decision for the first time. It was much the same as the response from some folks when we announced, many year after Merrilee, that we were going to Nova Scotia. Something along the lines of "do you know what the winters are like there? Are you nuts?" The nuts part might not have been actually verbalized, but the implication was there.

The reason that I bring this up is that it came to mind yesterday as I was doing a bit of gardening in the form of moving some young trees that I had planted in the fall. After having a couple months to really think about their use in the yard, I realized that they were not in the right spot. Don once said many years ago, that my plants should have wheels on them because I am constantly moving them around. My approach to gardening is somewhat like arranging the furniture; you have to try the chair(tree) in different spots before you find just the right one.

So here it is, January in Nova Scotia, and I got to work in my garden yesterday. A couple days ago, the temperature was up to 12 degrees. And the pictures that you see here, well I ran outside in my pj's to take one of them. No jacket, and wearing slippers on my feet. It's a little bit frosty but promising to be a gorgeous day with not a cloud in the sky. As winters go, not to bad. And I have to say, that we've been told a few times now that this is the worst winter for snow that they have had around here for a few years. Hmmm, sort of flies in the face of "do you know what Nova Scotia winters are like!"

No comments: