We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form.
William Ralph Inge (1860-1954)

Sunday, January 20, 2008

Placebos and Other Cures?


I'm almost reluctant to write this now. Too soon and maybe it is all in my head. Hmm, what to do? After due consideration and the fact that I have nothing to do in the next few minutes, I might as well tell you about the possibility that I've found something that seems to be helping the arthritis that as developed in my one hand. Notice the "disclaimer" tone that permeates that last sentence? Anyway, for the sake of conversation, I'll just get to it and share.

So let me tell you....

Last night, after reading something on the internet, I decided to try a half teaspoon of turmeric in a glass of water. Hardly any taste, and I needed a glass of water anyway. So this morning, I got up and the first thing I noticed was that my hand didn't feel quite as stiff and cramped as it usually does in the morning. I usually have a bit of the "claw" thing going on with my right hand first thing and while it does go away as I get busy, still it's not nice overall. It kind of worries me too, because we've all seen people or photos of people who's hands are all twisted up and they can hardly manage a doorknob, never mind do the kind of art and other things that I do. So I took another 1/2 teaspoon this morning, and then did a search on the internet about the health benefits of turmeric and it seems that they are numerous. I think that I will take a 1/2 tspn three times per day and I will let you know if I notice any further improvements, like the bit of swelling in the palm of my hand disappears too! I'm very excited about this if it works. Just imagine, a spice that has been sitting in my cupboard, hardly ever used and suddenly my hand quits its aching!

Anyway, hope that you are all having a nice day. It is snowing here and so I am going to work on a few ongoing projects inside. Don will busy himself with whatever it is that he does to pass the time. So take care and I will keep you posted.

No comments: